Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My career choices...

Even before my desire to pursue a career as Superman, I wished to become a pirate. But I was young and reckless then, and as I grew old, I realized that the prospects of becoming a swashbuckling pirate are quite thin for a teetotaler vegetarian, and a not so athletic guy with glasses. So much was the desire, and still is, that I carry a full-blown pirate costume in my closet. It is to be noted that the costume came with an eye-patch and a dagger, ahem ahem, made in China in plastic. You see where I am going with this career choice? Honestly, not too far. The fact that I lived 250 miles away from the nearest coast throughout my life didn't help either. But things changed with the passage of time, and after gorging octopus tentacles in Spain, and getting drunk on Vodka in grad school, and running a few miles every other day in Austin, I decided to switch my long term career options and set my mind on becoming Superman. As I said, I grew up and was forced to make more mature choices. I was all set with this career choice. Bought my blue trousers and shirt with a big Z on it, and an over sized red underwear, and yes, I already have my dorky glasses to hide my true identity. The only hurdle I could not cross to achieve this career choice was that my dad was not Jor-El, and was a native of a small town called Visakhapatnam, rather than planet Krypton. And there was nothing much I could do about it, except blame someone else for my failure. I bellowed, "Dad it is all your fault!"

Life is full of compromises, and yes, some disappointments. As a wise friend told me once, "Aim for the stars, and you shall reach the tree top." Well, my tree top currently stands at Qualcomm in Austin. But I am not done yet. With 2009 facing me, I have decided to hang on to my costumes for I never know when my dreams may come true. Hoping, and wishing the same for all y'all for 2009. Wishing everyone a happy and dream fulfilling new year, just hang on to your costumes...

2 comments: